Friday 30 August 2013

What's in my lunch box? Post Reading

I was beautifully organised for the Reading Festival. I’d purchased my tickets well in advance. I’d coordinated transportation of the required camping equipment across our party. I'd bought Melissa boots in case the site was muddy. I’d washed my hoodie and dug out my ‘festival clothes’. I’d made a list of bands I wanted to see. I’d packed vegan food should the onsite offering disappointed (it didn’t but I never did find the vegan chocolate brownies which were supposed to be on offer).

So I had a splendid weekend watching bands I knew , discovering new ones, taking part in a mini remake of Back to the future with Videopia, drinking cups of tea under the stars, and noting with delight the makeover the female urinal area has been given (hello spotty curtains, fake grass, flowers and a general air of luxury). I delivered chums home on Monday. Ensured the tent was airing and got my kit put away in no time.

What I had totally failed to do in all my planning was make any arrangement for my lunchbox for the following week. In fact I patted myself on the back before leaving for running down supplies of fresh food.

But there’s always something lurking in my pantry, fridge or freezer. Plans to turn a stale baguette (I failed to put it in the freezer before departing) into vegan French toast reminded me of the wonder that is gram flour. So I grabbed a chunk of onion, rescued some wilting greens, dug out some recently frozen sweet corn, and stuck them in a frying pan with some oil (the dregs of various bottles – I really need to go shopping). Then I mixed some gram flour with water and salt and tipped it into the pan.

You never know quite how a batter with a random and unknown flour to liquid ratio will turn out. This wasn’t quite up to pancake standard but it did produce some chunks/balls. They worked perfectly well by themselves, but as the week has progressed I’ve also enjoyed them with pasta, and wrapped in Cos lettuce leaves. A handful of greengages followed up (finally made it to the market) and The Secret Rooms by Catherine Bailey (so gripping I couldn't sleep) went alongside.

I’ve added ‘food for return’ to my planning list for future festivals.

No comments:

Contributors