Tuesday 18 June 2013

What's in my lunch box? So I rummaged in the pantry

Food and a book

 

I've often gone on about my love of leftovers and my enjoyment in using up odds and ends of ingredients. There's just something really satisfying about seeing what's in the pantry, fridge and freezer and then creating.


Clockwise from top left:

Roasted chickpeas and new potatoes in oil and vinegar dressing – I'd prepared these as separate dishes but they go so well together. The number of potatoes was a bit limited so the addition of the chickpeas made the most of them. The oil was the dregs of a bottle of basil infused olive oil.


Broccoli tarts – whenever I puree broccoli for a sauce I always have leftovers which is just perfect for topping some pastry to create these soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside tarts. I've topped them with some slices of radish.


The novel in the viola by Natasha Solomons– I'm devouring this. I'd expected it to be predictable but it isn't all. You can sense something terrible building up but my guesses as to what have so far been dashed. It makes me wish I was still in a reading group so I could discuss it.


Dates, Pistachios, dark chocolate, and salted almonds – while I wait for the strawberries to ripen this is my favourite source of something sweet.


No comments:

Contributors