Tuesday 26 June 2012

What's in my lunch box this week? Allotment, pantry, freezer

Lunch box
I'm on a fridge, pantry and freezer clearing mission. I love it when some ancient ingredient gets put to use. There's also the bonus of buying new ingredients because some things (yeast and herbs for starters) are better fresh.

In my lunch box this week (from top right):

  • Strawberries because my allotment finally produced and there is nothing like a home grown strawberry in June.
  • Stromboli - after the success of last week's beer bread I just couldn't leave well enough alone. Not content with adding vegan Parmesan powder (definitely in the use up category) I roll the bread out, added home made pesto (from the freezer) and mushrooms and then rolled up before baking.
  • Spaghetti with lentils, sundried tomatoes, roast aubergine, asparagus and olives. I'd a packet of lentils in tomato sauce kicking around the cupboard begging to be used up. It was a bit scary when I followed the heating instructions. Apparently they were designed to be microwaved so I went ahead and heated the packet on its side for 1 minute as instructed. About 45 seconds in there was a huge bang. The packet had exploded spraying lentil goo across the back of the microwave. Worryingly my microwave in a much lower power than the one specified in the packet instructions!
 

No comments:

Contributors