Tuesday 17 January 2012

What's in my lunchbox this week? Lurking in the pantry

Such is my enthusiasm for using up odds and ends of food stuffs that I now have a basket in the pantry to put them in. Thus whatever I'm cooking I'll have a look to see what 'extra' I might be able to shove in. So here's what I've cobbled together this week.

Clockwise from top right:

Dried figs and dates - mmm

Pearl barley - amazed that I don't cook this more often. It's easy to cook, goes with loads of things and tastes good. Plus it makes me think of sugar puffs!

Steamed spinach. I've teamed this up with a ginger/miso/soy dressing from The Garden of Vegan.

Chocolate chilli cupcakes - I had a bag of mixed chillies and grated chocolate so I just stirred loads into the cake batter. I did plan to make icing but on discovering that I was out of icing sugar I cut out circles from a block of royal icing that was lurking in the pantry. These are seriously sweet- I can feel the sugar hit my system after eating one


No comments:

Contributors